- The benefits of zinc
- How much zinc do men need?
- What are the symptoms of zinc deficiency?
- How can you get enough zinc?
- Zinc supplements
Zinc is an essential nutrient that plays a crucial role in a variety of bodily functions, from supporting the immune system to promoting healthy skin and wound healing. However, it's particularly important for men, as it's involved in the production of testosterone and the maintenance of reproductive health. Whether you're a man looking to optimize your health or simply interested in learning more about this important mineral, keep reading to discover the many benefits of zinc for men.
Zinc plays a role in a variety of areas of health, including immune function, wound healing and skin health. One of the most important roles that zinc plays in men's health is in the production of testosterone, the hormone responsible for many of the male characteristics, such as muscle mass, deep voice, and body hair. Zinc is required for the production of testosterone, so if you don't get enough in your diet, your testosterone levels may be lower than they should be.
In addition to its role in testosterone production, zinc is also important for maintaining reproductive health in men. Studies have shown that zinc is essential for sperm production, and a deficiency in zinc can lead to a decrease in the quality and quantity of sperm. This can have an impact on fertility, making it harder for men to conceive.
But zinc isn't just important for reproductive health. It also plays a role in maintaining prostate health. The prostate is a gland that is located below the bladder and in front of the rectum, and it is involved in the production of semen. Zinc has been shown to be important for maintaining the health of the prostate gland, and a deficiency in zinc can lead to an increased risk of prostate problems.
How much zinc do men need?
The recommended daily intake (RDI) of zinc for adult men is 11 milligrams (mg). However, some men may need more zinc, depending on their age, lifestyle, and health conditions. For example, men with chronic diseases such as diabetes or HIV, may need more zinc.
What are the symptoms of zinc deficiency?
The symptoms of zinc deficiency can vary depending on the severity of the deficiency. Some common symptoms include:
- Impaired immune function: Zinc deficiency can lead to an increased risk of infection.
- Poor wound healing: it is important for the growth and repair of tissues, so a deficiency can slow down the healing process.
- Skin problems: playing a role in maintaining healthy skin, not enough of the mineral can cause dry, scaly skin, or acne.
- Loss of appetite and weight loss: a deficiency can cause a loss of appetite which can can lead to malnutrition weight loss.
- Reduced fertility: Zinc deficiency can reduce fertility in both men and women.
Other symptoms could be impaired cognitive function, depression, impaired sense of taste and smell, hair loss and digestive problems.
How can you get enough zinc?
There are two main ways to get enough zinc - through diet and through supplements.
Good sources of zinc in the diet include meat, seafood, and dairy products. If you're a vegetarian or vegan, you can also get zinc from plant-based sources such as beans, nuts, and whole grains. Although, it's important to note that the zinc in plant-based sources is not as easily absorbed by the body as the zinc in animal-based sources.
While possible to get adequate amounts of zinc from a well-balanced diet, some men may choose to take zinc supplements to ensure they are meeting their daily requirements. However, it's important to exercise caution when taking any supplement, including zinc.
Available over-the-counter and by prescription, if you are considering taking a zinc supplement, consult your doctor who can help you determine if a supplement is right for you and can recommend the best dosage.
Some zinc-rich supplements available in store, all vegan and gluten free:
- Solgar Chelated Zinc: Providing 15 milligrams of zinc in a highly absorbable form.
- Lamberts Zinc 15mg: This supplement provides 15 milligrams of zinc in a highly bioavailable form.
- Wild Nutrition Food-Grown® Zinc Plus: These capsules provide 15 milligrams of zinc along with other essential nutrients, such as vitamin C, copper, and manganese.
- Viridian Balanced Zinc Complex: Get 10 milligrams of zinc along with other essential nutrients, such as vitamin B6, copper, and manganese.
From supporting testosterone production, to promoting healthy sperm and prostate health, zinc is a nutrient that should not be overlooked for men. So, make sure you're getting enough zinc in your diet, and if you are concerned that you it may not be sufficient, make sure talk to your doctor who can help you determine if you need to take a zinc supplement and can recommend the best one for you.
Whether it is through maintain a balanced diet that includes plenty of zinc-rich foods or by taking a zinc supplement, you can ensure that you are getting enough zinc for optimal health.